Saturday, November 23, 2019

Trips This Year


Last year in December, the girls and I had the opportunity to attend a concert of one of our favorite worship singers.  More significantly, this artist was instrumental in Miss Isabella's birth.  Her epic album, Lullabies for the Beloved, serenaded Isabella into this world.  In particular, the song Pitter Patter Goes the Rain was one of the most worshipful, calming songs I've ever heard in my life.  Christy Nockels came to Bullard, Texas, just south of Tyler last December.  I bought us tickets as a part of the girls' Christmas, and we stayed in Canton at our favorite cabin.  Since it was intended to be a Christmas concert, we were not sure she would even perform our song, but lo and behold, she offered it as a part of the repertoire that night, and we all gasped as Christy herself seemed to know how important it was for our group of ladies to hear live Isabella's own welcome-to-the-world song.  Not a dry eye on our row.  The concert was small and intimate, and we were introduced to a new world of music to incorporate in into our lives as fellow worshippers.

Thank you, Christy!




We worked it out with Kerry, the cabin's owner, to stay for just one night so that we could take advantage of the concert without having to drive there and back all in one day.  We did nothing but cook, sit, and some even napped the day we arrived.  SOOOOOO peaceful and a perfect reprieve from the hustle and bustle of the Christmas season to simply enjoy each other's company and just be.










Headed to dinner in Tyler and then on to the concert...






Goodbye, babies!


Then in the spring, anniversary time again. 26 years celebrated at our nook in Oklahoma, the Summit.  This time, we ventured out from the cabin to see southeastern Oklahoma.  

















I told him that our next decade together, we would be much more adventurous.  We needed to get in shape to hike, mountain climb, camp out in the Rocky Mountains (at least once), and take a boat somewhere.  Curtis' 60's will be more mobile and active than his 50's.  Boom.  Prophesy. Write it down. I just loved his walking stick!



Christian had the opportunity to take his first road trip with his buddy, Nathaniel.  They traveled to Arizona for a week to stay with friends of Nathaniel's family.  




And Canton again!!  This time to celebrate my 49th birthday and look at property with a realtor as we get truly serious about relocating to east Texas.  Mom came along for her first girls-only weekend, Parnell style.  I cannot even tell you how much fun we had!!  Not a care in the world, stopping when and where we wanted to, eating when and where we wanted to, no littles for which to be responsible for just a couple of days.  FREEDOM!!





Mom and I shared a room, and talked until 3:00am.  I didn't know she even had it in her!  By the time the second night rolled around after driving 200 miles round trip viewing property, I made her promise she wouldn't have her 8:00pm cup of coffee.  Lol
She was equally tired, so we both crashed after our cabin dinner and movie.
Here we are at Love's Lookout south of Tyler on Highway 69 overlooking 35 miles of rolling hills countryside equivalent to a view of the Tennessee Smoky Mountains.






Mercy, Mom, Milly, me, Madison, and Isabella eating
dinner at Abuelos's Mexican Restaurant. We ate here before the concert last December, so it is a favorite hub for us girls now becoming part of the east Texas tradition.




    In August, Curtis took me to Houston which would be the last trip he'd have to take there in his foreseeable future.  An era was coming to an end.  I was kind of sad as I had learned the Houston routine and came to enjoy those trips with him.  His company, NAWL (North American Wholesale Logistics) was now dead in the water under the new tariffs.  Shoppa's, where he was employed at that time, was liquidating the Houston inventory and moving all Houston operations to Fort Worth.  Miguel, Curtis' long time loyal right arm, would no longer be employed by either NAWL or Shoppa's.  Curtis didn't want to lose Miguel, and has managed to run enough business to him that he hasn't had to take employment with another company, yet.  Miguel flew to Florida just today to meet with Alan and Curtis to be a part of their new venture. 

    As I walked up the ramp to the Houston office back in August, I saw the entirely empty yard.  No 18-wheelers loading material, no staff of men cutting beams and stacking them in the yard, no secretaries in the office.  Just Miguel.  I looked out over the vast emptiness, and laughed to myself. I asked the Lord, "I know you promised success and prosperity and that you would bless the work of Curtis' hands.  This sure doesn't look much like success, Lord.  What is going on?"

    I didn't necessarily expect a direct answer right then and there, but I heard God ask me, "Do you really want to know?" 

    "Yes, Lord, I do."

    He then spelled out something so far from my radar that I KNEW it was not my imagination.  I had not thought of this or planned on this course of action in any scope of my possibilities.  God said.....and I began writing....."Curtis has managed mammon. He has been faithful in managing mammon.  He has chosen the person over the deal, his integrity over the money, time and again.  Now, I am going to trust him with true treasure, what I value most, human souls.  As empty as this yard is, the equivalent will be full of souls Curtis is going to shepherd for my kingdom.  If these companies were still viable and there were still 39 employees depending upon Curtis for their living, he would never jeopardize their well being to leave and do something new.  He would stay the course for the good of all, and has proven that, as well.  I have carefully and attentively relieved Curtis of these duties to change his course altogether without costing him any of his provision for you."

    I called Curtis into the office immediately to tell him.  After he listened to what I had to say, he remarked in his usual vein of sarcasm, "I think running NAWL would be easier."  I laughed heartily.  I have no idea how these things are supposed to transpire, or even when, but it was enough to inspire Curtis to start writing the book that has been on his heart to write for 5 years now.  I'm excited to see what all happens....I always am!







The property hunt.
Curtis and I took a day to come meet Stephen Morton of Miller Homes Group, shortly after the girls and I met him looking at our first choices from realtor.com.  We left at 6:00am and were to the first property in Jacksonville by 9:00am.  We went from there to Longview, then to Lindale, then to Tyler for a late lunch before heading home.  One thing I love about this whole idea is dreaming again with Curtis.  It's been a long while since we did something crazy and new together.  You get stuck into the routine.  You have those first years where everything is new, the house, the furniture, even the city.  Then, after finding home sweet home, you settle in and do the family thing.  I have loved every moment, but the house is shrinking as the kids grow tall and multiply.  The properties around us are taken up with gorgeous estates all fenced in and inaccessible.  The only problem, our children are not all grown.  We still have a three year old!  We want the same opportunity for the younger children that the older ones had to roam free and safe.  We want to do the four-wheelers again, the farm thing again with a dairy cow, and maybe a few goats, but this time on a larger scale and incorporate grass-fed beef.  Charles is very interested in ranching. He's our bee keeper, and harvested 90 pounds of honey this summer!  This day was for dreaming, considering all options, figuring out what kind of place for which we're actually looking.
SO MUCH FUN. 





Within two weeks, we decided to take the younger kiddos back to see exactly what we're talking about in a move.  We had three places to see. We left at the crack of dawn again, stopping at Buc-ee's for quick snacks and potty breaks. The only problem this time, we had a northerner blow in dropping temps to 40 degrees that day!  And early hint of winter in October!!  They stopped complaining about a prospective move after that day.  They caught the dream!











On the last property, we encountered a feral hog that wandered right up to us with absolutely no hesitation!  We were all outside the van taking in the gorgeous clean air, stretching our legs after the 45 minute drive from the last property, when we saw it coming.  It didn't run, it just kinda strolled right up to us.  I gathered the kids back into the van, and Curtis had to climb into the bed of Stephen's truck! Stephen had his pistol on him, so he saved us from the possible attack. He first gave a warning shot, but nothing phased this pig. He shot it, but it wandered back up under the defuncted mobile home before it died.  The adventure continued as Curtis had to get out the chains to hook us up to Stephen's truck to get out of the mud down on the backside of the property.  East Texas is so very beautiful.  The kids went on for days with the stories we brought home from our land hunt!







No comments: