Hello! We are all well and happy and have so much to tell you! Maggie's baby boy was born in January of this year, and the post of all of those details will follow shortly. In the meantime, I want to document several of the highlights of last year. There was no way to manage the dramatic changes in our home, and keep up the blog, or really keep up with much of anything except home and family. As always, though, it proves extremely rewarding, and we come out with the best stories! So, as the title to this post suggests, I'm going to backtrack through 2016 and tell the short narratives of the ebb and flow of what is swiftly becoming the dynamic accounts of some 15 people that are intricately intertwined with one another, yet fiercely individual in their impact and ministry to this world.
2016 was Cash's first year, and though two of the most major events ever to happen in our family occurred last year, Maggie becoming pregnant, and our family's trip to Ireland, the firsts in his life still happened in the wings of all of the other activity. Most pictures around the house were of him, or someone holding him.
I asked my midwife, just three weeks after Cash was born, if she'd give permission for me and baby to accompany Daddy to Houston once again. She agreed if I planned to keep him mostly at the hotel and not out and about too early. Curtis had made a handful of trips without me by this time. I stopped riding with him in that last couple of months, and much preferred to stay home and swim daily at the gym to relieve the cramps, aches, and pains that typically increase at that stage. He still loathes traveling, and was thrilled to have his traveling companion back in the seat. I slept when baby slept, and watched the shows I only get in Houston, as we don't have television up here. I love having babies, but I really love getting back to everything I enjoy with relatively unrestricted freedom, especially traveling with Curtis.
Mamaw and Papaw stopped by on their way from the valley to Indiana. Lots of hugs and a fresh introduction.
Madison and Joel flew in to meet the new little guy. She wanted to meet her youngest sibling while he was still an infant. That stage is a breath.
On the way to Rosa's to celebrate Joel's 22 birthday.
I know there was a garden last year, but that's about all I can tell you about it. Mercy and Channing have become Curtis' major farm hands, and they've taken up the baton with great skill. They've become the goat milkers, too, and we've had almost a year in fresh raw goat's milk for the family. LOVE IT!!
Prom with the legendary Texas Christian Home School Prom was originally intended to be once, and for their senior year only. But, when they hosted it with the Narnia theme three years ago, all of eligible age requested to go, so Curtis and I agreed as long as they paid their own ways and bought their own attire. Now, it's an official tradition.
Some of us still prefer to party at home. :)
Well, unless its another 16th birthday...
For Milly's 16th, we spent three days in a cabin outside of Waco on a ranch bordering George W. Bush's Crawford Ranch. The girls have had such epic stories upon returning from our cabin weekends that the boys requested to come along this time. Of course, if the boys come, all of the younger siblings come, too. So, we split this celebration up into two segments. The first day, the girls drove down to party loud and proud, the second day, we took the girls into Waco to visit Common Grounds featured on Fixer Upper, then onto the famed Magnolia Market. That was so much fun! As we walked the local streets and markets, the boys brought the trailer behind the van with the rest of the crew including the lab and her kennel, and the Maltese.
That night, we cooked, played pool, danced, and chased fireflies in the pastures around the house. Milly then opened her gifts with everyone there, and it was surprisingly emotional as she opened Curtis Wade's gift, then one after the other from her loyal friends who have been so blessed by her influence and friendship. I love these times. The memories for all who came last a lifetime, and cement our mutual values of love and friendship into heart and soul.
The third day, we split up into teams to bring order and cleanliness back to the party house and leave it in tip top shape, so as to be invited back again without question. It works every time! In half an hour, we were ready to ride. It stormed all the way home, and I was glad Curtis was driving. The weather held for our celebration, and we were all grateful.
And, back to Houston....
Getting ready for Ireland. Shopping for raincoats, waterproof walking shoes, and travel supplies.
This boy's been workin' out!
Mercy's first make-up purchase. Clear mascara.
Last hair appointment before the mega-trip.
When we got back from Ireland, we resumed our blessed swim days at Aunt Jan's down the street. This time was Cash's first time to the pool.
The mid-term sonogram.
Maggie had secretly hoped for a boy, though almost everybody she knew predicted a girl. She never said what she wanted so as not to speak against a baby girl if it turned out to be. But, when the sonographer revealed our little guy's equipment, Maggie was overcome. These pics say it best.
Papa turned 70!!
As youthful as ever, not changing a bit, he came to this age with grace. Steady and faithful in love and support of so many people, remembering their special days, showing up whenever called upon, and gracious in trying times. Patrick means "Noble One," and a noble one he is.
These three came with me and Curtis to the once a month teaching hosted by Dr. Joel Young at the Radisson Hotel in Richardson. Dr. Young is a Jew converted to Christianity because of his studies of the Torah. He met Jesus and now teaches the Bible through the study of Hebrew. Fascinating! Thus, Curtis' avid study of the Hebrew language. We appreciated Mercy and Charles keeping Cash happy for four straight hours so that we could listen and learn.
Everybody was getting puppy fever in the spring of 2016, but I refused to let anybody have another pet until Cash was a little older, and not before the Ireland trip. By September, Milly was on the hunt for a Morkie (Maltese/Yorkie mix), and had saved the money to make the lofty purchase of what's been dubbed a "designer dog," aka mutt. We found this little beauty in east Texas weighing in at only 15 ounces. To be truthful, she was too tiny for our family of toddlers and young children, but we knew Milly would keep a sharp eye on her until she was big enough to hold her place in our brood. Milly named her Daphne, and she is a barrel of fun. She fit right in, especially now that she's a safer 8 pounds. Curtis has an evening routine of grabbing her, turning her upside down, and doing the one-hand mauling until she bolts around the house with her tail straight out, then bouncing back for more. I have laughed until I cried watching them. What's even funnier is that Daphne looks for Curtis at the same time every night, and if he's out of town, she's sad.
Milly, Mercy, Cash, Curtis and I drove out to Athens, Texas to pick her up. It was a delightful day trip! I looked at property, Curtis brought his laptop to keep up his emails, Cash slept or played for the drive, and the girls held the puppy oooing and awwwwing over how adorable she is.
This is my adorable puppy.
Another First Monday Trade Days trip to Canton.
In October, Curtis had to attend a three day convention in Arizona to maintain the industry standard certification on his rack from China. It is an event where wives attend, entertainment and formal dinners are provided, and special sessions concerning the future of the illustrious ranking on your product is discussed and voted upon. Curtis' buyer from China would also attend, so he really wanted me to tag along, except that Cash was still nursing full time, and I couldn't leave him. Traveling on a plane again with a baby.....uhhhg. If I didn't go, Curtis would be attending each event with Vanessa, and others would naturally assume them to be a couple. I HAD to go. And off we were on a three hour flight, picking up Vanessa at the airport, driving a rental car to the resort and settling into our little cove of a hotel room for three days while Daddy did the meet and greet. What we didn't count on was the attention a baby would garner to our corner of every event. By the time we left, once again I had met the staff at the resort and heard their stories of home and family, several other of the attendees and their stories of children and grandbabies, and had attained celebrity status among the conference goers. Curtis wants to bring us along again for PR purposes! Lol Babies are so non-threatening and irresistible.
These pics below are right after the flight, finally free to move and play. I took off his clothes and let him loose. He was sooooo darn cute!!!
The resort. Beautiful!
The grocery run. I love finding food to keep in the room and pass the time pleasantly. There was a Whole Foods just down the street. Oh, happy day!
Vanessa catching both of us tending to business of one sort or another.
Taking a call outside on the balcony because baby was too loud inside playing with me.
The weather was cool in the mornings, so I'd take Cash outside to break up the day. We enjoyed midmorning snacks and coffee together with a view of the valley below.
One week in October a couple of the kiddos started with sniffles and coughs with the first cold fronts arriving, but this particular day, Miriam ended up with labored breathing by evening. SUPER unusual, as she had never had any respiratory issues her whole little life. When we saw her retracting that evening, we brought her to the urgent care in Southlake for Cook's Children's Hospital. Her blood oxygen was at a dangerously low 87. When they couldn't get it to stay up above 92 even after treatment, they transported us downtown. She was so peaceful at her young 5 years old. Though she was never diagnosed with asthma or pneumonia, it still took two days to see a steady 95. The doctors said it could have been a virus that settled in her lungs. UHHG.
Headed home. Hallelujah!
A favorite pastime for these two.
Cash's first haircut with none other than Todd Stroud. We've know Todd since I was 12 years old, when he first opened on Midway Drive in Euless and would cut my younger brother's hair. I introduced Curtis to him when we married, and we've taken our boys ever since. Todd and Johnann are family friends, to say the least, and are thrilled we keep bringing new clients. I've met the neatest people and heard the most endearing stories from other patrons at his shop over the years. Some even drive from an hour and half away for their haircuts. I've often teased Todd that he should write a book from the stories that he's watch unfold over a lifetime in that chair.
Our last trip to Canton for the year. The fall weather beckons one last visit.
Finally done with the routine. Time for a break.
And Houston again....
My view on a normal Houston morning. I try to catch up on this thing, but that's proven a challenge with him in tow. Look at that "I know you want me" smile, like out of this crib and in your lap. Lol
Waiting for Daddy to pick us up and head home.
Maggie and I couldn't help but take advantage of this parking spot stopping at a Kroger in Plano for kombuchas after picking up a Halo Bassinest for her little guy soon to arrive.
When the weather changes, it's wardrobe switch out time. It takes us two to three days to go through the 17 under-bed boxes, trying clothes on 9 children to see what will fit and what goes back in the box, then adding the last season to the folded mix to put away for next year. This one didn't mind the mess.
Super cute in the warmer get-up! My littlest man.
Another birthday, as they happen every 3-6 weeks around here. This time it's the boys turn to live it up. Charles turned 13, and he wanted to take his buds to an air soft park out of the city up in Sanger. His requests for gifts centered around guns, gear, and ammo. They left early that Saturday morning, and it was cold! This was a first for all of us, and it caught on superbly. They've planned a handful of gun game days at two different parks locally. I LOVE the tales they come home with. Christian has taken it upon himself to keep the cheaters they encounter in line, and he has hilarious stories. The reps really appreciate him. They went recently right after a rain and came home muddy. They ate it up! I love having boys. I always prayed for enough to repeat a family of Cartwrights, from the vintage show Bonanza. I wanted an Adam, Hoss, and Little Joe defending a lady's honor, standing for justice and truth, and running the family ranch. I've got twice that many and can hardly believe my heart hasn't burst with the love I feel for them.
For one of Milly's Christmas presents, we took her and Rivers to her first concert ever to see For King and Country, her favorite band. That was a blast!! They are two brothers with an absolutely dynamic show.
And a peek into Christmas around here. The boys helping Daddy the night before assemble bicycles for little girls. They're getting a taste of our preparation for them on Christmas Eve's past, not so long ago.
Opening presents around here takes more than an hour, but what I really love is how the kids are beginning to do things for each other, some handmade, some purchased, but all thoughtful gifts showing the care and concern they hold for one another.
Timeless expressions!
Closing out last year with great expectation of things to come, number one being a new baby in our home with Maggie's due date in mid-January. We had prepared a place for her rocker and her baby bed right next to her own bottom bunk, underneath the window. We had gotten all of the newborn supplies purchased, gathered, washed and set aside. She and I attended her birth classes, and I teared up in almost every one as we would watch videos or look at diagrams of the miracle of birth. Now, the wait. She and I spent the last three months super connected and close-knit, as I didn't go far from her or leave her behind to run any errands. We passed the time feeling a great need to be together, and even talking about how this special time would come to an end never to be revisited again. The other children took a backseat with gracious hearts, and this year has been make-up time for them with Maggie and Eugene wrapped up in their own little world of happiness. Ohhhh, the beauty when you let God write your story!!
And the saga continues....

















































































































































No comments:
Post a Comment