Monday, March 2, 2009

Building the New Barn






The beginning of this particular venture wasn't glamorous or picture perfect. In fact, Curtis had decided to quit and tear the whole thing down on more than one ocassion. It was, actually, Curtis Wade that kept the ball rolling and offered Daddy the much needed inspiration to press on to a well accomplished end! We already have a horse barn with a tack room on the property, but we needed more storage, and a place for the lawn equipment, bicycles, tractor, etc., to be kept. With an already existing cement pad toward the back fence, probably used for dog kennels at one point, Curtis decided to utilize this foundation and build on it a nice appealing-to-the-eye structure reminiscent of a Kentucky farm animal barn. I was thoroughly impressed with the entire process, and Curtis' ever thorough attention to detail.
The children, as usual, were oblivious to his frustration, climbing and playing all around him as he worked day after day, and Emma added her consolation being ever loyally by his side. He built the barn out of steel structure rack from his business, siding from Lowes, and a roof of plywood and shingles. He designed it all himself, and he and Curtis Wade built it entirely by hand! We'll have a family painting party in the spring.
Yes, barn red I think! It will be beautiful under the green trees this summer! I think I'll even add faux windows with window planters on the side. Can't wait!

No comments: