Thursday, October 23, 2008

Baby Chicks Again!

Two of my baby chicks.




What is it about holding babies? They are just so sweet!



Curtis brought them home a day sooner than expected from the post office.





They all made it here fine, save one, and we were sure hoping it wasn't the rooster!





Special delivery!



Well, here we are starting over again on the chicken adventure. We really enjoyed them last year, but the trauma that accompanied our brood was almost not worth the trouble! From the babies getting caught one night behind the feed sack in the barn, costing four of them their lives, to the dogs getting in twice and having to clean up a mass chicken massacre, the tears and heartache were awful! It's crazy how your heart goes out to these animals!
We had four different breeds last time, but our favorite birds were the mild mannered, beautiful Buff Orpingtons. They are a yellow bird growing fat and plump and known to be good layers.
The children never tired of gathering the eggs, and on our best days we'd gather five to six eggs! I've already had to borrow two eggs from our neighbors here. You don't realize how many you go through, especially when cooking from scratch. We've learned valuable lessons from last year's experience, so Curtis has planned well to nurture and protect our new babies.
They are so fascinating! They'll be running along from one side to the other of our brooder (which is a huge shop fan ingeniusly transformed into a steel safehouse for these baby chicks), when one will just fall out on the floor, as if she were dead. After sleeping a couple of minutes, she's up and off again. It's hilarious! Before they can perch, they just lie down all sprawled out.
The kids are taken with them, and handle them everyday. These beauties should turn out to be barnyard pets for our family, as well as productive citizens of the Parnell society. Curtis is feverishly working on the chicken tractor (mobile chicken coop), and it's going to be so cute!
We ordered one rooster for this bunch of hens. It lowers the cholesterol in the eggs, and gives us an opportunity to breed them should we decide to later on. We haven't positively identified him yet, but it sure is fun listening for his immature crow to begin alongside all of the clucking and chattering of the rest. It will start to stand out soon enough. He might be the one who constantly sits atop the food bucket, like the cock of the roost he is!
Lord, bless this endeavor, these baby chicks, and help me to be tough enough to handle "life on the farm" this time! And as always....thank You for the fun!

1 comment:

Nikki Bettis said...

Ok....so these would be the baby chicks that are now laying eggs. And chickens only lay eggs when they're 5 months old. I say time for an update, my dear.

And I tagged you on a blog tag game. So...go to my blog and read the rules and then post your own.

I got your email too about the father/daughter quotes. I'm looking around to see what I can find. I know I have a ton of stuff in our library that probably has stuff like that. I'll email you in awhile after Brad leaves for city council.

Love you!