Friday, August 29, 2008

My 38th Birthday


Judith sent me these flowers, and I received all of these beautiful cards!


I turned 38 years old this last Sunday! What a pleasant and completely unconventional birthday it was. Curtis decided that since he had promised that if I would find new homes for all of our dogs in Decatur (except Emma, of course), he'd buy me the perfect puppy sometime this year, my birthday was as good a time as any. The perfect puppy, for me, is a very small (commonly referred to as a teacup size) fluffy blond powder puff ball of personality. I know this kind of dog exists, because growing up, Nikki had just this very thing in a sable colored Pomeranian, Gracie. We had more fun with that dog! We all still laugh over the funny, totally entertaining way we'd carry on with her.
So, I started the search in earnest, checking daily on all of the websites I had found that specialized in breeding small dogs. Curtis even pitched in on the effort as the day approached, and I had yet to find no suitable matches in our price range. When the prospecting began to get a little frustrating, I began to wonder about the timing of a new puppy. I certainly know the opinion of the common "Joe" out there looking at my life with nine children, one a new baby, homeschooling, recently relocated (again), and finding ourselves more than once this year with renters without rent in both Bedford and Decatur! I don't even bother to ask for "counsel" on the subject! Finding the perfect lap dog has simply been a marriage long quest that begs for an end, at least for me. Curtis is rather indifferent, as long as this quest doesn't cost much more in price tag, time, tears, and toil to be accomplished. You see, we've bargain hunted for dogs twice already, and ended up with 15-20 pound nuisances that are too hard to keep inside, dirty and hard to hold.
Finally, when one lady met me with her puppy, I decided this baby was the one. When I called her back to purchase the dog, she was unavailable to meet me because of a family emergency in Oklahoma. She had me call three days later to come pick up the puppy. I called everyday for three days, checking in with her. When she did finally call me back on the fifth day, she said she'd sold the dog to someone else! I was so disillusioned and disappointed. She gave no explanation, but it was done.
That was when I sensed that God may have an opinion about this. I was very familiar with the Scripture in Proverbs that man casts the lot, but the Lord determines its every outcome. Since this wasn't an issue that was already spelled out in the principles of Scripture, with a moral absolute already in place, I decided to ask Him what He thought. I had to be ready to take the answer in faith, even if it meant giving up the search for my new puppy. How very sad!
So, I rebuked Satan from deceiving me, and claimed God's Word in Proverbs, and asked Him to let me know His thoughts. Heads...I'm finding a dog. Tails...I'm giving up, trusting that it's not the right time, or simply not right altogether (which could be figured out on another day!). Drum roll............it fell on the floor, and as I picked it up, I did not recognize the head of our forefather president, George Washington. No, it was a Georgia peach; tails. I was kind of sad, but I immediately had an idea that blessed me so much, I could hardly wait to run it by Curtis.
I had already been thinking about writing some dear friends and family members that I truly appreciated, that had blessed my life, or somehow made a difference, or had offered a contribution to me that I had not adequately acknowledged by thanking them; in a nutshell, tending to unspoken gratefulness that was surely overdue. But who blesses me everyday? Who strives more than any to honor my wishes and follow my commands to the "t"? The children! (And Curtis, of course, who doesn't benefit from my monetary rewards. There are other rewards available for him. :) What if we spent my birthday shopping for something for each of them that they have either needed, wanted, or both? Seldom do they lack anything, but seldom do I take the time to just shop for them in an unrushed, freestyle fashion either. Curtis was taken back, but agreed if that was truly what I'd enjoy. And it was! We had so much fun! It went down in the books for our family.
I think the children have seen me as one who actually doesn't enjoy going and doing. Crazy! I LOVE going out on the town, and did quite often with some five to seven children in tow, but times have changed for us. I love being home. I've always loved home, but I especially enjoy remaining here all hours of the day now with the children safely playing, or reading, or cooking, or sleeping. So, to see me out and about, and not for mandatory errands, welcoming all of them to go, was refreshing, I think, for everyone.

In the end, we brought home everything from new shoes, to legging outfits, to socks and underwear, and even two hamsters. We were gone for six hours! I was so grateful to Curtis for the entire ordeal. He didn't question one request. I joked with him afterward that he might have been better off buying the dog!

No comments: