This year in the lives of our family can be summed up in a simple phrase:
Peaceful, cohesive, and relatively quiet.
The timing of the world to go nuts with Covid-19, lockdowns, mask mandates, and shortages came at a time when everyone here was residing at home or nearby, and those who needed to maintain employment found they were considered essential workers, although I could post an entire political rant as to what we believe about this last year's unprecedented infringement on our basic liberties as American citizens, so maybe I'll save that one for later.
What we experienced as a whole was nothing short of the glory of God and the calm only He can bring at such uncertain times. We continued our property search in east Texas until August, then pulled our house off the market in anticipation of civil unrest with the elections. We will resume next year should things calm down.
Even Curtis' requirement to travel with his job ended just ahead of the tumult. We were all home each evening with a consistent dinner time, baths for little people, bedtime videos with color sheets, and Bible reading together as a family. Then, up early again the next day to let out the chickens, milk the cow, and feed the animals. We were already home educating, so the chaos in the public school system had no effect on us, although the kiddos did what they could to encourage their public schooled friends as they adjusted to zoom calls, and then mask mandates even while playing sports or dancing.
The week before we couldn't find eggs on the shelves at Kroger or milk in the cases at Sprouts, we brought home 20 laying hens and a Jersey cow with a miniature bull to keep her calving and in milk. I didn't know to make these plans. I could not have foreseen what we would've been out of had we relied on the supply chain. But, God knew. He cares so personally and intimately for us as his children. We've been our own supply chain to family and friends as the year progressed and even had laying hens available for sale to our surrounding community. Our garden flourished, and we planted the first ever fall garden with an abundant harvest. You should know that not all of our garden efforts in history yielded produce! Gardening is an art! But, God knew. This year, we appreciated a true harvest. This year, we'd be able to give away and feed others. I have had 12-20 people at the dinner table EVERY SINGLE EVENING this entire year. We laughed heartily as our Governor Abbott limited indoor gatherings to 10 people in the spring. We were outlawed before we ever got started!
We never stopped meeting together as a family. We never refused my mother or daddy a seat at the table for the once a month birthdays we host. We didn't skip a beat. The memories are a treasure! Although, I will not post the videos here, we had started a new tradition for our birthday gatherings last November when Milly suggested at Charles' 16th party to each say something we liked about Charles. By the time we made it to the last speaker, there were no dry eyes in the house. It was earth shaking, and we knew we were on to something special. We continued that trend with each and every person this year and spoke aloud blessings to the birthday boy/girl. This is the stuff that makes your worst day so much better. Again, I had no idea the affirmation and strength we'd each draw from such an exercise and cannot even take credit for its inception, but God knew. This year, as we canceled dance memberships and froze gym memberships, and others refused to meet out of panic and fear, our family remained the same, and gathered solace and strength in our numbers. My heart hurts for those that have suffered loneliness, isolation, and depression. I simply cannot imagine. We've done our best to draw in and welcome anyone needing a breather, and meal, and some good lighthearted company!
Bottom line....we are blessed! God is good!! He takes care of His own. I wouldn't trade this crowd for the world! I've included pictures below that highlight each month. Enjoy!
This was by far my favorite property! If it had been located anywhere but on a major Farm to Market road, we'd be in it today.
January snow.
Another east Texas trip on a rainy day.
The last business trip to Florida before we were home for good.
Mercy and I shopping happening into the toilet paper crisis at Sam's.
Meeting our Jersey girl.
Curtis had time for farm projects long overdue.
Picking up the laying hens.
Charles giving me a ride!
Unloading the hens in Curtis' hand built mobile chicken coop.
My garden help.
Homemade gym for the body builders.
Introducing Granny to the new farm residents.
Isabella meeting the birds.
Free time fun!
Charles with Madison's second baby, Leoben.
Holding the grands.
Spring blossoms.
Daddy's turn!
Maggie and Eugene moved into their first apartment this year!
Moving day!
Curtis and I resorted to a favorite picnic spot to enjoy Jason's Deli takeout, and Chick-Fil-A drive through. How much I enjoy his companionship!
New kittens born made for more fun at home on the farm!
We put a contract on acreage in June, but let the property go when we didn't get the terms we wanted. I was glad in the end, because I am now resolute to have a water source on the property.
More driving, more looking.
It never gets old.
A field of roses.
Back home, new chicks arrived. Our first silky bantams.
A Mother's Day photo with my boys, all but the 3 and 4 year olds.
Introducing Isabella to the kittens.
The boys had to wait for haircuts. I wanted a photo of all the gorgeous locks!
Baby kittens old enough to play now.
A typical summer dinner: fried chicken, homemade mac and cheese, steamed green beans, and fresh brewed sweet tea. All gluten free, and low carb.
All but three were home for dinner that night.
Back to the picnic table for a little date.
Summer rain.
Water balloon party.
Summer movie time.
Girls salon day with a little boy to boot.
Afternoon conversation on the porch with my Mercy girl.
Early harvest from the summer garden and a plethora of eggs!
More down time conversation with my oldest, Curtis Wade.
The kids very generously gave Curtis and I an out-of-town getaway for Father's Day.
These weekends are PRICELESS.
Good morning cartoons and snuggles.
By the time the 4th of July rolled around, I had loud and proud patriots on my hands.
Pro 2nd, pro Trump, pro freedom!!!
Madison and Joel took the babies to see his family in California. The boys met Papa at their home to mow, weed, and weed-eat their lawn before they arrived home.
Another family dinner: taco pies, home-grown tomatoes, avocadoes, and sour cream.
More east Texas back roads, but this time with just me and Madison to have some time to catch up on family news and the trip out to Cali.
Curtis purchased our first tower garden this year. We have never harvested more tasty, gourmet salads before. It was a science project/home business venture rolled into one.
The flag became a mainstay during summer months as we witnessed our nation's liberties challenged like never before in our lifetime.
My summer ferns also had new residents.
By August, we finally made it back to Aunt Jan's pool.
Mercy and I ventured out for supplies and were met with a fierce summer storm. By the time we were done at Walmart, it had ended, leaving nothing but beauty behind.
Mom harvesting the first fruits from the tower garden.
Maggie at the pool with us.
Curtis gave me a requested and unusual gift for my birthday this year. I wanted time alone to fast for our country, pray, and write. I wanted time without people, something I have never had in all my born years. I thought it would be the cat's meow, but I found I function better with my people. I did enjoy the first day back in Canton at our favorite cabin. I spent one night out there out of the three that were planned, and drove back home late the second night. Next time, I'll bring Curtis. He'll just have to agree to let me write and think in silence for part of our trip.
Proof of my hard work while away.
Cash started kindergarten this fall. The joy of hosting my little class!
First fall garden ever.
Leoben went on a walk with me.
In September, Curtis had the honor of baptizing three of our girls, Mercy, Miriam, and Meredith, and a very special friend of ours, Caroline, who wanted to follow through in obedience to the Word by publicly professing her faith in Jesus. As is now tradition, Aunt Jan, as we affectionately call our neighbor, offered her beautiful poolside paradise for the event.
What a celebration we had!
With all events off this year, and restaurants a hassle to navigate, I dressed up to grocery shop. It was virtually the only time I left home. Curtis prayed over me every time I left the house with the civil unrest becoming an increasing threat. Although we didn't fly Trump flags on our vehicles, our family has become very outspoken patriots and voices for freedom on social media and in the public forum. I've had people recognize me in public, so I'm always ready for a conversation to assist people to know how to exercise their God given liberties.
Early morning mist and fog, a sign of relief from the heat and a blessed change of seasons.
With an abundance of rain this year, my roses bloomed again!
With Charles ready for driver's ed, we went to sign up online for the permit appointment at the DPS office. There wasn't an office in the state with less than a 3 month waiting list! What an atrocity! When we were just about to give up and sign up for the wait, we found an appointment available the NEXT DAY in Longview, TX, a 3 hour drive! We took it, and BOOM. DONE!
That was a fun trip! Now I'm training my 7th driver!!!
Early voting. Parnell Patriots in full force!
A bountiful fall harvest.

First fire of the season.
We took a crew to Canton for First Monday Trade Days in November. We stopped by a piece of property for sale to imagine our lives in the near future! The culture out there is so refreshing, so free. No mask mandates, no Covid apocalypses and no fear. Just people greeting one another, shopping, eating, visiting, and enjoying the unbelievably gorgeous weather!
View out my kitchen window. Never grows old.
Getting ready for Thanksgiving.
Thanksgiving Day walk. Such beautiful weather!
No comments:
Post a Comment