"The Three Musketeers"
The most unique quality he possesses is his sincere love for children, especially babies. He's just naturally good with them, and genuinely appreciates how cute, small, and precious they are. He gently tends to each new one coming into our world with patience and compassion. His sisters are his biggest fans, as they are usually the ones to assist me with "the littles." He and Mercy are my number one tag team to have survived Eugene's first year with my own Cash only being a year old when Eugene was born. They've stepped up to the plate to babysit for Maggie so that she could pursue a vocational future to ensure she'll be able to support her new little family. Charles will hear Eugene or Cash fussing and come to the rescue distracting them with some antic, toy, or venture outside so that the house can continue to run smoothly. As I looked back through photos to choose the ones to post here, I noticed, as will you, how more than not, he's got a kid. I truly thank God for that, as I think I would've sunk under the pressures of the last two years without he and Mercy vigilantly tending to the children alongside me.
He started working out pretty steadily last year, though his brothers encouraged him not to lift too much weight yet, until he was done growing. He's researched different routines and correct form, and has buried the competition with his impressive six-pack. Like his Daddy says, "He's gettin' some guns on him!" Following suit after his brothers, he's beefin' up. Move over Cartwrights.....the Parnells are in town!
Charles also keep bees. Curtis had been trying to interest somebody in the profession, though prior to Charles there were no real takers. Charles LOVES his bees. He's got his suit, gloves, and smoker to tame them to get the honey, but he prefers to go without the smoker. He sits and listens to them on a warm day, and can tell when they're agitated and when they're docile, and has learned when to go in to collect. Our hive is designed so that it doesn't disturb the bees when harvesting. He won't let us kill a bee. When one gets in the house, he rescues it and returns it to the hive!
Earlier this fall, he, Christian, and Milly were at the gym, when a 75 pound weight fell on his right pinky finger splitting it wide open to the bone. They called me to come. I got there, and upon seeing the damage, called Curtis to drive us to the ER. After a day at Cook's downtown, and preliminary stitches, we were told he'd need surgery within the next two days. The doctor offered to show me the lacerated tendon in his finger. I declined. We prayed healing over his hand, and visited the surgeon two days later. After examining his finger, the doctor informed us that he would NOT need surgery, that the tendon was just fine. Charles had full range of motion!! Hallelujah!!! He sent us home with a splint, and wanted to see him again in 6 months.
Building the hive.
He got nine pounds of honey his first harvest!
Welcoming Isabella.
At Cook's after he split his finger open at the gym.
Channing and Cyrus
Completing a HUGE Lego set together, they are buds in just about everything they do. Close in age, at 13 and 10, they do their school work with Miriam and Meredith at the kitchen table with me each day. They were partners in the goat milking part of our farm for the last two years. They tend the chickens and the dogs, keep the yard picked up after the little boys leave all manner of toys outside, and tag team on a thousand other little projects needing to get done around here. I love their ages and the tenderness these boys have with me. They sincerely miss me when I travel with Curtis, and they appreciate my input in their education. That doesn't always last, so I treasure this time.
Channing turned 13 in September. Earlier in the year, he had his dental appointment to fill small cavities, and was told he could pick out a toy. I watched as this man-child wasn't sure if he should pick one out, or forego the offer, as they were "kiddy" toys. I actually teared up as I watched him decide to pick one out, knowing this was probably the last time he'd do this again in his young life. They grow up so fast!
For his 13th, a big birthday around here, Curtis took the three musketeers up to Lake Texoma for a guided fishing tour, a first for everyone. They had a blast! The trip happened to fall on the very day Madison went into labor with Isabella. I had plans to go along, but we changed plans as Madison and Joel had invited me to attend. I'll give details on that event in coming weeks, but this event was a hit. They all caught fish, with the birthday boy catching the first!
The cabin with the view.
The catch!
Channing loves to wear a suit. This was at our 25th wedding anniversary party.
Cyrus helped out in spring projects defrosting the freezer and cleaning it out with Maggie.
Channing accompanied me and Mercy to the vet with Duchess, our new miniature Dachshund. She snapped this pic.
When Madison and Joel went to California for her baby shower out there with Joel's family, the boys helped by keeping the dogs fed, watered, and cleaned up. This was them during puppy play time at their apartment.


































No comments:
Post a Comment