Thursday, February 13, 2014

Introducing Ruby, Our New Red Valentine



    We knew we would be in the market for another lab one day.  Our beautiful lab, our mainstay family dog, Emma, died at 13 years old two years ago.  She was great!  She knew what I was thinking by the way I walked or the tone in my voice.  She would respond to the children, and keep a sharp eye out for their safety.  I was amazed at her loyalty, her sense of duty, her patience, and her obedience. She was thoroughly house trained.  She knew when to get out of the way, and when to make her presence apparent.  Emma was just about perfect.   But then I remember those puppy days.  Emma was the first Parnell pet ever.  I had four children under the age of 5, and was expecting another baby when we bought her.  We drove to east Texas to pick her up, and upon getting her home I realized what I was in for.  I was up in the night with her just like I had been with four other children, thus far.  We survived upset tummies, diarrhea, messes on the carpet, and endless Barbies, babydolls, and action figures chewed beyond recognition.  Though I've definitely attempted my share of small dogs in recent years, I haven't been ready for the sheer size of the training required for another big dog.

    Then the debate over color: the girls wanted something different, like a chocolate or a black lab.  Chocolates were pricey, but most had blue eyes. I still loved the blond.  The children have promised over and again to "help out" with the responsibilities of a new large puppy, and to be fair, I have considered their obvious devotion to other animals we've had.  I just needed some down time to comprehend, and focus on the new thing.  I wanted this new dog to be a blessing, not only to the children, but to me and Curtis, as well.  Unlike the tiny little "FeeFee" type, this dog would belong to all of us.  She would have some sacred shoes (or should I say paws?) to fill.  She would be part farm dog, part jogging buddy, part guard dog, part little boy's buddy, and most of all...Daddy's dog.

    Curtis and I looked around at Christmastime to see what all was out there for sale.  Labrador Retrievers were going anywhere from $350 to the show winning $2000.  We almost went to see one beautiful blond on Christmas Eve, but something just didn't feel right, so we waited.  Then, on New Year's Eve, I was on Craigslist, and found something called a Fox Red Hunting Lab.  Never heard of that.  Apparently, they were featured in Field and Stream recently, renowned for their pointing/hunting abilities, and their rare red coats.  We found a litter for sale just an hour north!  So, on New Year's Day, we took the farm truck and four girls, and headed to the country.  Four 7 1/2 week old females with mom and dad on site.  After playing with the parents, and watching the puppies play awhile, I picked out the most docile, chilled out baby girl.  Her sisters were such a contrast to her personality, rowdy, crazy, pouncing and wrestling.  But, Ruby just sat there cuddling with girls and crawling up to her mama.  Though she wasn't the smallest (and I usually pick the smallest in the litter), I couldn't resist her obvious affectionate temperament. 

    So, with yet another new baby in tow, we headed home with our Fox Red Hunting Labrador Retriever, Ruby.  She has been more fun than a barrel of monkeys!  She's smart, gentle, eager to please, and after only a month, she's already house trained.  Her eyes are solid green, and her coat is like velvet.  The kids have held to their word to stay on top of any messes, keeping toys out of her path, and training her to sit, come, hush, get down, etc.  When we brought her home, we explained to the kids that she was to be an outside dog.  Well, not even Daddy wants her to be an outside dog now.  She's a growing, soon-to-be 80 pound lap dog!












    After a day full of chasing kids, chickens, and goats, this baby girl curls up next to a favorite, Daddy, for Bible reading.  This is when she finally settles down.  She gets so cuddly and floppy,  you can arrange her how you want her.













Movie nights now.  Ruby didn't make it for the ending!


















2 comments:

Unknown said...

We love reading your blogs(: love Tricia!

Jackie said...

Hi!!! Trisha, you've got to come out for our long overdue visit! We've got two brand new baby goats, too. Isaiah would love them. Soon!