Monday, March 4, 2013

20 Years and Counting




So, Wednesday, February 27, 2013 brought us into our third decade together!
I'd do it all over again, a thousand times, to have what we have today.
 
    One thing I find amusing to me over this last year, in particular, is how much I cherish his friendship, and he mine.  We've always enjoyed the downtime together, but this year, I've craved his companionship and company, similar to the agonizing moments apart in our first year.  Maybe it's been his increased travel time, (that whole "absense makes the heart grow fonder" thing), or the ordeal with Madison over the last year, realizing that as much as you've invested in them and abundantly love them, they are intended to grow up, separate from you, and begin their own lives, sometimes very different from your own.  Though premature and painful for our first time around, it is a Biblical concept.  We both miss her, and we've both sat in long silent vigils together searching through Scriptures that ensure through His promises her ultimate victory.  It's the joint quest to find the new kind of covering we can offer as her parents, absent in the physical but powerfully spiritual.  And the realization that we've chosen this life together. He chose me. I chose him.  Our kids didn't choose us, God chose us to be their parents.  One day, if Jesus tarries, he and I are it!  Though I do not crave an empty nest, and have relatively ensured through eleven children that I may never have one, it is our nest.  And we love it!
 
   Another revelation is that not many truly "get" what we're doing.  Why so many children?  Why the hastle?  We know the treasure.  We revel in it.  We are very aware of the eternal beings these children are, and the minimal earthly cost in laying down our lives for such a reward.  Sometimes, though, it is a lonely corner of the world with few offering encouragement or praise.  The general public stands in awe, but often the ones closer to you have their judgments whether unspoken or loudly proclaimed.  I can count my "fan club" on one hand.  But Curtis is my greatest! 
 
    Whatever all the intricacies are that make this marriage so sweet and easy, I feel like we're on the downhill side.  If I had known then what I know now, I certainly would have cried less, and kept my mouth shut about all of our woes.  God saw then what we have now.  Maybe that's what it means to have the mind of Christ, to live by faith.  I could have acted like I already had it, for it was sure to come, thereby removing all of the roadblocks to our success I had in place.  Might could've had it sooner!! 
 



So, how did we spend the day?  He took off work (a feat all it's own), the kids snapped this pic, and we were off to run errands after lunch at Cristina's.  Yep, Sam's, Sprout's, and Kroger.  The staff at Kroger congratulated us with hugs.  Holding hands, reminiscing, engaging in affectionate conversation, and thoroughly enjoying ourselves.

That evening, he took me to La Bistro, where we had shared our first dinner married.  Then, he surprised me with a gift all our own.  Forever a romantic!  We had a blast!

We came home late to three of the kids waiting up for us having prepared a late night movie, complete with candles, classical music, and romantic ambience.  They seem to realize how much it means to still be together after 20 years, and they are glad we are both still here.  They had our hot tea ready, with homemade brownies!



Mercy with her mantle decor.

 


Charles and Milly with the entertainment center lavished in love.
 


 



So, happy anniversary, Love.
And, thank you for loving me.




No comments: