Merry Christmas!
Some of my favorite things about this time of year are probably not much different than everybody else's favorites, but they are worth mentioning anyway. I still marvel that much of the secular world sings loudly and clearly about the birth of our Saviour! Have you ever stopped to listen to the actual words of Christmas carols? I don't know of anyone that has come to know Jesus because of a Christmas carol, but in some of those precious old tunes, I clearly hear our salvation and hope spelled out so eloquently that I get excited all over again to know Him, that He knows me, and that I'm sealed for eternity in Him! Hallelujah!!
As a mother, I marvel that the King of the universe would give up His glory, and not only come to earth to live, but allow Himself to be born an infant, helpless and vulnerable, dependant upon imperfect humans to care for Him, to ransom us back to Himself. Until recent years, I never understood that He had to do that to go through the "proper legal channels", that He Himself set up, in order to buy back our rights.
He gave dominion of the earth to the sons of men. We gave it over to Satan, and now Jesus has bought it back by becoming a Son of man himself. He never goes against or violates His Word. That's why He didn't just show up in all of His glory and wipe the slate clean, straighten everything out, and hand us the keys. He did hand us the keys to the Kingdom, but only after He fulfilled His own law! Wow! What love!
If only we understood what we have in Him! Nothing else would ever compare! Every good and perfect gift comes from Him! And these are some of mine...
Everyone at home this weekend, baking bread, Christmas music on all day, friends calling to go for a walk, others stopping by for eggs and bringing little gifts.
Lots of wrapping to be done, picking out a movie for tonight, deciding on tacos or grilled chicken for dinner.
The fun of watching the children play outside on an absolutely gorgeous day, and trying to keep the puppy from chasing the chickens.
Having Curtis Wade mow the grass one last time, and finding him taking the boys for a ride while the others chase him.
The neighbor's horses running through the back pasture, and wondering when we'll be ready for our own.
The baby not sure if he wants to be in here by me or out there in the rowdy play, and watching him go in and out the door, in his own little world, not even aware I'm watching, in perfect admiration, this little miracle named Cyrus.
Curtis revving up his chain saw, cutting some more kindling for the fire from the brush pile where Broody hatched her eggs this last summer.
And the day wears on, slowly, after naps the little ones waking up one at a time, Curtis making a Sam's run with Milly, and the older four at a movie with Daddy. Not everything in life is perfect, yes, I understand, but how much closer do I want it? What isn't will be set straight soon, or certainly upon His return, so all I have is a future and a hope.......nothing to cry over, well, except beauty so lush it coerces an emotional response!
I hope your holidays are pleasant and peaceful. And I hope that the beauty of Jesus Himself will eclipse any sadness, heartache, or pain you might be facing. Most of all, I hope you comprehend that the mighty Lion of Judah came to rescue you by becoming a soft, sweet, vulnerable baby layed in arms just like your own.
Much love from the Parnells!

2 comments:
Beautiful as always, Miss Jackie!! I've missed you all and wondered about you often. I'm glad I have found you again and have a small way to keep up with you all. Love the stories here and the pictures.
Lisa Bell
Jackie, Madison had mentioned you have a blog, and I saw its address on your Christmas card. I've so enjoyed sitting here the past hour or so and reading through your older posts! The photos of the neighborhood are beautiful and have me longing for spring again.
Please tell Madison I really do intend to have her babysit again soon--the children ask about her all the time!!
I hope all is well with you around the corner!
Blessings,
Sarah Hartfield
Post a Comment