Best picture we could hope for in the dark.
Madison watering the flowers for the Rodgers
It started with Madison and Curtis getting to water flowers at the house at the very end of our street, sitting atop the highest elevation of Denton County. The owners, who were also the developers of the entire neighborhood, payed a pretty sum to have the kids look in and keep the blooms coming while their house sat up for sale and they sat up on their horses in Canada. I actually enjoyed going with Madison and Curtis just to sit on the deck and take in the view! Not only have the Rodgers proven to be good neighbors, they've proven to be good friends. The girls have gotten to go to several church functions with Mrs. Rodgers, and she's invited them to go to the symphony, and other venues of fine art; while Mr. Rodgers has graciously loaned us his John Deere to mow our pastures (as well as some neighbors' pastures, too) in exchange for letting his horses graze on our coastal grasses.
As most of the people on our lane have been here anywhere from ten to thirty years, it wasn't long before word got out, and job opportunities came rolling in. I never realized how my nine year old earning money would benefit the family budget! To keep them from spending their newfound green stuff on nothing but toys, we've had to implement financial training a little earlier than I had originally planned. Though I've never been an efficient saver, I did learn to give. Mom was great at setting that example early for me, and I have never felt true lack. I totally believe the Word when it says to give and it shall be given.....I've lived it! Now I want the children to know it, too.
They've prayed to get jobs, thinking it would come from me "hiring" them to do odd jobs around the house; but God had something different in mind, and they are getting to taste a little of the "real world" working for someone other than Mom, meeting those expectations, and getting to decide where their earnings should go. There are so many life principles experienced in financial training, and it's been fun to watch each one learn (and some for the first time) the joy of hard work and a good wage in return. Through these opportunities, Curtis is getting to play football this year. (Wow! What an expensive sport! I had no idea.) Madison is saving for her car. Maggie is blessing the little ones with treats and rewards, a system she designed and funded herself to offer more positive reinforcement of behavior. Pearce is saving (he's not sure for what, yet). And Milly is constantly looking to give; every time a need comes up at home or abroad, she's on the bandwagon to fund the need.
You know, we often pray for our children to grow up and become productive, successful citizens of society, offering something of value to a hurting world in need, but how often do we stand back and invision true monetary success for them? Especially in Christian circles, we seem to have gained some super spirituality if we've suffered through some level of poverty. Though I do absolutely believe we are to be grateful and content in whatever state, whether rich or poor, God has our success....overall success, ultimately in mind. To really understand what He's got in mind, read through Deuteronomy 28. His blessing doesn't sound like lack at all. In fact, lack sounds more like the curses listed there. I can hardly wait to see what He does in each of their lives, how He chooses to use them in His Kingdom, but I am eternally grateful that the children are learning early Who is their source, not me, not Curtis, not even a hoped for job, but faith in His Word alone. They prayed, He answered. It was that simple. Thank you, Lord, for speaking to my children!
Fourth of July Recounted:
Last but not least in the day.......Fourth of July! Yes, we celebrated. The family across the street has three grown boys with the youngest in his last year of high school. They are slightly amused at our constant antics all over our property, from five kids screaming in delight over newly hatched baby chicks, to hollering "Dinner time!" while ringing the dinner bell. At first, I was concerned we interrupted the nice quiet living for these refined, well educated Eagle Scouts, excelling in all high school and college sports, but I know now they seem to really like us (inspite of the noise)! We are outside city limits, and apparently they shoot off their own fireworks every year. So, settling in to a front yard display, we decided to forego traffic at the lake and surrounding areas to watch, atop the fences, the sparks fall nearly on our heads! It was great! They lit a half hour's worth on Friday, so the kids decided to write patriotic thank you notes and hand deliver them in a group of seven with Madison pushing the stroller. That was funny! These people, who have probably done this for the last ten years, suddenly recieve special congratulations on a job well done, thinking they're minding their own business. They really got a good laugh, and were obliged to repeat the ceremonies again on Saturday, the Fourth. You could hear our brood "oooooohing" and "awwwwwing" clear down the street! I could hear the boys across the street laughing. When they were out of fireworks, they hollered through the dark, "That's all guys! Thanks!" I can already see our boys continuing the tradition when these boys have all left home in a couple of years. Much more fun having the show up close and personal, and way more fun than fighting crowds!
I think the kids had a better handle on exactly what freedom is and what it means after wading through the fight against the daytime curfew in Bedford. The day was easy and enjoyable. Daddy Curtis cut up a huge watermelon before we bathed everybody and tucked them into bed.

No comments:
Post a Comment