We met Miss Brooke on Sage Lane. She lived two doors down, and came by just about everyday. She worked her way right into the middle of our hearts. She's absolutely hilarious, and spent much of her spare time with us. We were invited to her birthday party two years ago in the fall, and met Reanne and Bill, her parents, and Blake, her older brother. Our favorite member of the family was definitely the family dog, though, Peanut, a 4 lb. maltese!
Bill and Reanne were great neighbors, and we were so sad to leave them behind to move to the country. They were equally distressed! We've kept up with them, and had Brooke out for a couple of days regularly since we moved. I do love the quality of time spent with her now. I'm not constantly having to send her home! She melds right into the family routine, and even asks for chores to do her part. Wow, can she iron! A new talent that had remained hidden from her mom! Bill had also been so helpful during our move. He loaned us his trailer to load up the swingset and trampoline. We had it for two weeks before Curtis could get to it to take it all off. He offered his hand on several occasions, with our air conditioner back on Sage, and with the move, helping to get the heavy stuff loaded. He was a handy-man by profession.
Just five days after Curtis' stay in the hospital at Harris Methodist, Reanne called late that Monday night at around 10:30pm. Bill had had a massive heart attack that morning and was in ICU at Harris in Bedford. She and Brooke wanted us to pray. Curtis and Madison immediately gathered their things and left for the mid-cities. It was storming badly that night, but I wanted them to go, as well. They stopped off for flowers for Reanne, and game books for Brooke. They had been there all day, except for the times when Brooke's grandparents had come to take her for a bite to eat. Sure enough, Curtis called on the way back at 1:00am, and said Brooke was in tow. I pulled out the trundle in the girls room and made her a fluffy bed, ready to fall into when they arrived. She was so glad to be here, and she did just that -- collapse on the bed. The kids slept late the next morning, and over the next couple of days, they just played. We took Brooke back into town Wednesday to see Reanne for her birthday. We took homemade cards and a gift certificate from Kohl's. There had been no change in Bill.
Curtis and I went in to see Bill. We prayed over him, and read the Word. Curtis had done that Monday night, too. Brooke opted to come back out with us, until they knew more. That next afternoon, Thursday, June 28, Reanne's father called Curtis at 4:00pm and said that Bill had died. We waited until Curtis got home to tell Brooke. In a continuing string of timing miracles that had already transpired over the previous weeks, Sarah and Andrew Cobb were already coming out to mow our perimeter yard, and help catch us up on farm chores, so they were here to stay with the children while Curtis, Madison, and I took Brooke back to Bedford to be with her family.
The funeral was the next Tuesday, July 3. We took all of the children and attended. It was beautiful. In the funeral, a good friend of Bill's had testified to his salvation at church with him one night back in the nineties. I was so grateful for that word. I could say with confidence to Brooke that she would be with him again! She came back out to stay with us for almost a week the day after Independence Day. I loved having her. We have one more visit promised before school starts in August.
You never know what all a life has to hold, or what you'll be apart of when signing up to be a friend. This time I was honored. I've always liked the Kaseburgers, but I can truly say now that I love them. Bill was such a great guy. He challenged Curtis in his ability to befriend people and truly be there for them in the smallest of ways. He was always available. Never too busy to chat, or even help out.
I think of Reanne everyday now. I pray for her as often. Just a week prior to their ordeal, we went through ours with Curtis. It could have been that fatal. The timing of this in our lives was no accident either. Altogether, it speaks a very loud and clear message: It's time to live like never before. Let nothing hold us back. Go for the things that have been stirring for years, but we've never actually taken into action. No fear. No hesitation, except to hear the voice of the Lord. No opinions lingering but ours and the Lord's. Time is of the essence!
I'm excited. I'm humbled. I hurt for her. I'm keeping them close in heart and prayer.
Growing from a child to an adult means taking these things bluntly into your life, whether you wanted to or not. Although, taking it like a child brings great comfort: rely upon the Lord, cry only when the tears come, and laugh and play every other moment. Life still holds great meaning, value, and purpose.

No comments:
Post a Comment